Sunday, May 3, 2009

20 Bajillion Things

This is how many things I have to write about. I can't decide if I'm going to include them all or not. I want to, because I would like to remember them for posterity's sake. But 20 bajillion is a lot of things to write about, and that's a lot of things for people to read about. I'm just going to list them off and we'll see how far we get. Really, you are under no obligation to read further.

  1. Andrea: "Why doesn't everyone have a computer in their house, Mom?"
    Me: "Ummmmm. I don't know, honey."
    Me: "Who do you know that doesn't have a computer in their house?"
    Andrea: "George Washington."
    Me: "Rrrrrrrrrrrright."

  2. I went to Costco the other day. I had Ethan and Natalie, and it was one of those trips where my cart runneth over (I had a lot of stuff). So I was in line, and I started unloading my cart. This has to be entertaining for people to watch, because it always involves me pretending to be an octopus with eight arms, so that I can unload my mountain of stuff, while holding on to Ethan to keep him from jumping out of the cart, while holding on to the cart to keep Natalie from pushing it into the person(s) in front of us, while picking up my Costco card that Ethan has thrown on the floor, while picking up the contents of my purse that fell onto the floor while picking up the Costco card, while helping Natalie "help" me unload the cart, while sorting through the coupons I have clipped to hand to the cashier, while trying to enter in my pin number, while restraining Ethan's hands from pushing the big red button on the key pad.

    So, while I was juggling all that, I heard this: "Excuse me, ma'am, but do you mind if I help you unload your cart?" I turned around, and there stood a guy who had "BYU" written all over him - he was clean cut, he was shaven, he was all smiles, he was courteous and helpful, he was with his mother, and he just had a special glow about him. Also, his t-shirt said "BYU" on it.

    He helped me, and we chatted about BYU and his fiance and his plans for the future, and then I thanked him for his help and went on with my day. Although I was so grateful for his help, I know I would have managed on my own. I do this kind of thing (pretending to be an octopus) for a living, after all . But I had to write about him, because what I appreciated even more was the gesture of kindness that he extended to me. No one does that. No one offers to help a stranger. At least, not in Northern Virginia. Everyone is too busy minding their own very important business. So thank you, BYU Boy, for looking outside of yourself and finding a way to brighten someone else's day.

  3. Can I tell you that I love to mow the lawn? Because I really do.

    Can I tell you why? I'll tell you why: Because I mow it, and I can see that I did something - that I made some sort of progress. And the best part is that no one can come and un-do in a matter of minutes what I've just done. Sure, the grass will grow back. But it will take at least a week.

Alright, I'm done for the day. We got to 3 things. I'm not sure what 20 bajillion minus 3 is, but I guess that's what we have left to cover next time.

3 comments:

Jonathan Forsyth said...

i made jonathan sit down with me while i read the last two posts to him.

we laughed.

it was an excellent sunday activity. and i'm feeling the pressure to make sure that by the age of five, dallin knows that george washington didn't have a computer.

Jonathan Forsyth said...

ps - apparently i am logged in as jonathan. i am, in fact, not jonathan, but andrea. aka yaya.

elise said...

i get the lawn thing... i hate the lawn, and i never mow, but it totally makes sense. a friend of mine explained it really well, you've got to do something (semi)perminant each day, because there's always more dirty laundry and dirty dishes, etc, so you do one thing each day that doesn't look immediately undone, and you find peace :)