Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I'm a blogging maniac!

Sorry for the recent onslaught of postings on my blog. But, you know, Anders is gone, and I ran out of West Wing DVDs to watch. What else am I supposed to do when the kids are in bed?

Today I had the most disgusting, gross, nasty, horrific experience of my life. And for me to say that...well, I won't get started on all the things I vomited while I was pregnant. Let's just say I've had experience with some pretty yucky things. I'm pretty sure I could beat any guy at a gross-out contest.

Anyway, this morning Natalie came into my room, crawled into bed, and asked to watch Sesame Street on my laptop. I willingly obliged, because this gave me a few more minutes to doze. As she sat next to me, I started playing with her hair. And there, to my horror, do you know what I found? Can you guess? It was...

...A STINKING TICK!!!!

I've never seen a tick up close before. And definitely not on a person. Or in a person. And there it was. On my sweet, innocent Natalie. That black, nasty, leggy thing looked so diabolical hiding there in her soft, wispy, golden curls.

My first reaction was to run out of the room screaming. But I didn't think that would go over very well with Natalie. Instead, I calmly (yeah right) got a pair of tweezers, and while she sat in blissful ignorance watching Sesame Street, I pulled that sucker out of her head. It didn't come without a fight. I thought I was going to throw up or pass out or something, being only a tweezer-length away from that thing. But I didn't, and in the end, I flushed that blood-sucking, pin-headed, parasitic loser down the toilet.

Mmmm-hmmmm! That's right. That's what you get, Mr. Tick.

My whole point of this story is that it never ceases to amaze me what I am able to do for my children - things I could never ever do otherwise. If a dear friend came up to me and said, 'Hey Emily, I've got this tick here...could you help me out?' Forget it. I'll drive you to the ER before I go near that thing. But for my daughter...it's a different story.

Natalie: tick-free, new haircut, fresh pigtails, enjoying Sesame Street. She never had a clue.

3 comments:

Andrea Forsyth said...

nice duvet:)

i had a tick in allen once. it was sick. i was gagging as i pulled it out. so gross. i'm proud of you, emily. you've come a long way.

Sarah said...

I think you just have bad luck with disgusting animals. That story reminded me of the bats in your condo and made me laugh! You just have to when things like that happen!

Emily said...

Oh, Sarah, the stories I could tell you about the crazy animal encounters we've had...psycho squirrels, blind birds, hundreds of worms on the carpet in our living room...what is wrong with us? The bat story definitely tops them all, though :)