Friday, April 3, 2009

Following in Oprah's Footsteps...

I've started what Oprah calls a 'gratitude journal.' And actually, Oprah isn't the only one who has ever done this. It just sounds cooler to say I'm doing what Oprah is doing - if you like Oprah. (By the way, I used to enjoy her. Not so much any more...I have ended our relationship of many years due to irreconcilable differences in values and beliefs.)

But I digress. I actually resolved to begin my gratitude journal after watching a BYU forum featuring Dr. Martin Seligman. (Anyone interested in learned helplessness? Then he's your man!) He made several interesting points regarding Positive Psychology, and I will not attempt to summarize them all here. But he did say that research has shown that by simply recording 3 positive experiences each day, people were found to be significantly happier and more satisfied with life after a 6 month period.

Who doesn't want to be significantly happier and more satisfied with life in 6 months?! I know I do. So I'm giving it a try. I thought it might be fun to make this a part of my blog...it'll give me something to write about.

So, three positive experiences for today, Friday, April 3:

1. A friend from my ward - Elizabeth Jansen - called me up today and offered to watch my kids for me each month so that I could have time to prepare my Relief Society lessons. WOW! I'm not usually too eager to dump my kids on others (I consider it cruel and unusual punishment - for the babysitter - not the kids.) But I had to take her up on that offer because anyone who knows me knows that I fall apart the weeks I have to teach. This means that my family falls apart during the weeks that I have to teach. And I mean that we are totally dysfunctional. What a huge help! THANK YOU BETH!!

2. It rained today. It even thundered once. I love the rain and I love thunderstorms. We don't ever get thunderstorms here in Virginia like we did in Texas, but then, nowhere can be as wonderful as Texas, and I've come to accept that. Anyway, it rained, and then the sky sort of cleared and it has been beautiful today. I forget how much I love spring.

3. It's not my place to go into detail, but someone close to me had something good happen in her life. She deserves to finally have something good in her life, so that makes me glad :)

No comments: