Thursday, April 2, 2009

Jelly Belly's

...are a dangerous thing.


All you Costco members out there have probably seen the large 4 lb. Jelly Belly jelly bean jars for sale at their local Costco warehouse. It has been a dream of mine to own my very own jar of Jelly Belly's since I first became an official Costco-card-carrying person.

Today, I lived that dream. I had a coupon - $4 off! - and I knew that if I didn't buy them now, I never would. So I did. And I told myself, "I'll just have a few now and then - a quick little sugar fix to help me through the more difficult times."

Well, we bought the jelly beans, and then I had to drive the 20 minutes to go pick up Andrea from preschool. I drove with the jar in my lap - opened. I probably ate 100 jelly beans just on the way to school. That was at noon. Those jelly beans gave me the strength and happiness I needed to get home and get the kids lunch. Then the sugar started wearing off. I was fading fast. It was all I could do to get the kids down for naps.

At 1:30, I crashed. I slept for almost 3 hours, and when I woke up I felt horrible. See, I thought I could control myself around that much sugar. But I should have known better. And now I have the rest of this jar sitting in my house, tempting me. One would think that as a responsible adult, I would know better than to eat 17 handfuls of jellybeans in one day. If one thought this, one would be wrong.

Now my dilemna is: Do I keep the rest of the jar (that still wasn't cheap - even with the $4 off), or do I throw it out? Maybe I could donate them to Purple Heart...that's what I usually end up doing with everything I get rid of. Somehow it makes me feel better.

And by the way, my favorite Jelly Belly's are the black ones and the "Sizzling Cinnamon" ones. My least favorite: "Cafe Latte," otherwise known as "Dirt."

No comments: